About Our Family

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mombasa, Kenya

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Ty's Teacher - Mrs. Carol yne Msengeti



Apology to None by Mrs.Carolyn Msengeti - Year 1A

When I am introduced as a teacher, I am usually asked what I teach.When I say, “first grade,” I generally hear a flat “ooh.”I have never been certain whether it is an expression of pity, sympathy, disgust, or perhaps disinterst.

Always, I wish I had time to explain to them like this:

“YES, I teach first grade.” WHERE ELSE would a handsome young man put his arms around me and ask, “Do you know that I’ll always remember and love you?” WHERE ELSE could I tie so many hair ribbons, shoe laces, belts daily and get to see a style show of pretty dresses and shirts? WHERE ELSE could I walk up and down the aisles and have little warm hands reach out to me? WHERE ELSE could I have the privilege of wiggling loose teeth and receive the promise that I may pull them when they are loose enough and sometimes do. WHERE ELSE would I eat a spoiled piece of candy from a grimy little hand and not become ill? (I have to eat it because he watches me to see that I do!).

WHERE ELSE would the future look so bright as it does amid an energetic group to whom nothing is impossible? WHERE ELSE could I guide the first letter formations of a chubby little hand that may some day write a book or an important document? WHERE ELSE could I forget my own aches and pains because so many cut fingers, scratched knees, bumped heads and broken hearts that need care? WHERE ELSE could I forget cares and even ‘the state of the nation” because a student isn’t grasping reading as he should and other methods must be tried? WHERE ELSE would my mind have to stay so young as with a group whose attention span is so short that I must always keep a “bag of tricks” up my sleeve?


WHERSE ELSE could I feel so close to my MAKER as I do each year when, because of something I have done, little children learn to read?

YES, I teach first grade.
Mr. and Mrs. Kenya,
Mr. and Mrs. America,
Mr. and Mrs. India,
Mr. and Mrs. World, and I LOVE IT!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Carolyne said...

I love this!!!!
Tie, love you always!
Carolyne - Your Year One teacher

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home